Statutory Will

Sometimes, a Will needs to be made for a person who does not have the mental capacity to make one for themselves. For example, a person may have received a compensation claim in relation to injuries that they sustained in an accident, and have been cared for by their partner ever since the date of the accident. If they are not married to their partner, then their partner would not be entitled to inherit anything in the event of their death. If a partner has not been paid for providing care, then this may be quite unfair – it would seem only right that the partner should stand to inherit something when the injured person dies. 

If the injured person does not understand the principles behind making a Will enough for them to be able to do it on their own, an application can be made to the Court of Protection for a Will to be approved on their behalf.

This application should set out all the financial circumstances of the person with the disability, as well as the arrangements currently made in relation to their care and daily life.  It should explain who forms part of the injured person’s family, so that the Court can build up a good picture of those people who might expect to inherit something in the event of their death.  A draft Will is also provided to the Court which would set out the proposal that is being made as to how the disabled person’s estate will be divided in the event of their death.

The Court will generally ask the Official Solicitor to look at the application from a completely independent perspective and make any representations to Court that he thinks is necessary in order for the Will to be fair to everybody involved.  The Court will make the final decision as to what the Will should say. The Will is then signed on behalf of the disabled person and will come into effect when they die.

If you think that you know of someone who should have a Statutory Will made for them, why not give us a call for a no obligation chat? We can talk through with you what your options are and whether we think that an application would be the right way forward.


Can’t I just make a “normal” Will?

If you are not sure whether you, or someone you know, has the capacity to make a Will, you should NOT just go ahead and take them to a Solicitor to get one made anyway. If you do, the Solicitor will probably refuse to make the Will, and even if one is made, it may not be valid upon death.

Give us a ring and talk to us about capacity. We can explain what it means in more detail, so that you can decide whether it is an issue or not.


Contact us

If you would like to have a free no obligation chat about your options or how we may be able to help you or a member of your family, please call us today on 0800 590 019 or contact us directly at your local office in either Newcastle, Darlington, Durham, Tynemouth or Stockton in Teesside.

Alternatively you can fill in the online enquiry form and a member of our team will either call you back or email you regarding your enquiry as soon as possible.


Karen Pratt Partner
Make an enquiry