Complaints Policy
& Procedure

We are committed to providing a high quality legal service and to dealing with all our clients fairly. We acknowledge that we may not always get it right so if something has gone wrong, including in relation to the bill, we need you to tell us.

How do I make a complaint?

You can contact us in writing (by letter, fax or email) or by speaking with our complaints manager, whose contact details are:

          John Pratt, Westgate House, Faverdale, Darlington, Co. Durham, DL3 0PZ

          Tel: 01325 466794


To help us to understand your complaint, and in order that we do not miss anything, please tell us:

  • your full name and contact details
  • what you think we have got wrong
  • what you hope to achieve as a result of your complaint, and
  • your file reference number (if you have it)

If you require any help in making your complaint we will try to help you.

How will you deal with my complaint?

We will record your complaint centrally. Your complaint will be dealt with promptly and fairly. 

We will write to you within three working days acknowledging your complaint, enclosing a copy of this policy.

We will investigate your complaint. This will usually involve:

  • reviewing your complaint
  • reviewing your file(s) and other relevant documents, and
  • speaking with the person who dealt with your matter

We may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so, we will ask you to provide the information within a specific period of time.

We will update you on the progress of your complaint at appropriate times.

We may also, if appropriate, invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint. You do not have to attend if you do not wish to or if you are unable to. We will be happy to discuss the matter with you on the telephone.

We will write to you at the end of our investigation to tell you what we have done and what we propose to do to resolve your complaint. Where possible, we will aim to do this within 21 days of the date of our letter of acknowledgement.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of our complaints handling procedure, we would very much appreciate the chance to review the matter first. 

However, if you are still not satisfied you can ask the Legal Ombudsman to look into your complaint. You can contact the Legal Ombudsman:

•     by post at PO Box 6167

•     by telephone: 0300 555 0333, or

•     by email:

You must usually refer your complaint within six months of our final written response to your complaint and not later than:

  • one year from the date of the act or omission being complained about; or
  • one year from the date when you should have realised that there was cause for complaint

Further details are available on the website:

In so far as complaints relating to Lettings & Property Management work are concerned, if you are still not satisfied you can ask the Property Redress Scheme to look into your complaint. You can contact the Property Redress Scheme:

  • by post at First Floor, Lumiere, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 1JH
  • by telephone:  0333 321 9418
  • by email:
  • website:


What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour?



The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

Visit their website to see how you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)

Or alternatively contact the SRA at:

Solicitors Regulation Authority
The Cube
199 Wharfside Street
B1 1RN  
Tel:  0370 6062555


What will it cost?

We will not charge you for handling your complaint.

Please note that if we have issued a bill for work done on the matter, and all or some of the bill is not paid, we may be entitled to charge interest on the amount outstanding.

The Legal Ombudsman and Solicitors Regulation Authority service is free of charge.