Kanye West and Kim Kardashian – harassment and when one party won’t accept the end of a relationship

16th February 2022


People may be aware of the current situation in the public eye, following Kim Kardashian leaving her marriage to Kanye West. At first, matters seemed to be amicable, however lately things have taken a scary turn, and Kanye’s behaviour could be construed as harassment and emotional abuse towards Kim.

Abuse is not always physical violence, it can be coercive and controlling behaviour, sexual, financial, or emotional abuse. Domestic abuse can also include isolation from family support, restriction of independence, and trying to control behaviour through humiliation and/or intimidation.

When one party has made the decision to end a relationship and the other party won’t accept this decision or reacts in a way that causes the other distress and emotional harm, this is a form of abuse and is unacceptable. If one person is suffering with their mental health, they should of course seek appropriate treatment, but this does not excuse harmful behaviour towards their ex-partner.

There is considerable evidence of the impact of domestic abuse on children, which can lead to long lasting emotional harm. This is why the Family Court and Children’s Services are alive to concerns around domestic abuse.

It may be that you have gone through a similar situation, and this article may be triggering to you, bringing back memories of your own experiences. If you have been affected by domestic abuse and wish to access counselling and support, locally there are organisations such as:


My Sister’s Place

Wearside Women in Need

Family Help Darlington 

Halo Project 

The Angelou Centre

If you are a victim of domestic abuse, then the Police have powers under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and if you feel harassed you should contact the Police who have the power to warn the person. Some types of domestic abuse are criminal offences.

Legal Aid is available for victims of domestic abuse, subject to a means test, and BHP Law could assist by either writing to your abuser and warning them against their behaviour, assist you in applying for a Non-Molestation Order injunction, or assist you in accessing Legal Aid for divorce, separation and children issues, or for assistance in working with Children’s Services.

If you can relate to anything in this article and need advice, please do not hesitate to contact our Family Law specialists on 0800 590019.

News source

Share This Post