Slips, Trips & Falls

We have all been the victim of slip, trip or fall accidents, which can come in all forms; from potholes or uneven paving slabs, to spills of clear liquid or cables snaking through rooms or offices. Most trips of that nature will not cause an injury beyond a stubbed toe or bruise.

However others can give rise to nasty injuries, including fractures or joint dislocations, depending on the severity and environment of the fall. If someone can be shown to be at fault then a claim can be made against that person, the local authority or your employer (-See our Accidents at Work claims).

The examples of slip, trip or fall accidents and the potential hazards that cause them is non-exhaustive. If you suffer a slip, trip or fall injury due to someone else's negligence, then you may be entitled to make a personal injury compensation claim, but if you are unsure as to whether you are able to claim for your slip, trip or fall accident call us today for a no obligation chat and we will advise you on whether or not you are able to raise a claim. 


In what circumstances can I claim compensation after a slip, trip or fall?

There are many different places a slip, trip or fall may occur, many of which people are unaware they are able to claim for, below are some common examples that we have extensive experience in dealing with:

  • A building open to the public: if you slip on a pool of liquid or trip due a loose and unmarked cable inside a bank, restaurant, supermarket or any other public building, and injure yourself then a compensation claim could be made against the occupiers Public Liability insurance policy.

  • Private Property: if your injury is sustained on private property such as a house or piece of land privately owned by an individual, you would be able to make a personal injury claim providing the accident was the fault of the land owner or occupier and that they had suitable insurance in force or the means to pay personally.

  • Council owned property; if you suffer an accident at a property owned by the Local Authority but rented to a member of the public, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim if the hazard was due to their negligence.

  • Accident at work: if you trip on a cable trailing along the floor of your office at work, or even whilst working on a project site and injure yourself you would be able to make a personal injury compensation claim against your employer.

  • Potholes and pavement claims; these can be made against either the Local Authority or the Highways Agency. Claims of this nature depend on the inspection regime of the area, when it was previously carried out and whether or not the hazard was spotted or should have been spotted. Following this we would also need to see if the issue had already been raised with the Local Authority and whether they had had chance to resolve the issue following the complaint. We have specialist knowledge in this area and if you would like to know more, please feel free to contact us for a no obligation chat.

If you are unsure as to whether or not you have a valid slip, trip or fall compensation claim, call us today for a no obligation chat about whether you have a claim that is worth pursuing on 0800 590019 alternativley you can email your enquiry to or fill in the online enquiry form.


Find out more

Ruth Markham Partner
in 30 seconds Start your claim