Public Liability

What is a Public Liability claim?

A Public Liability claim relates to a compensation claim made on the Public Liability insurance held by businesses or public property owners. This means that if you have an accident or suffer a personal injury whilst on public property, which was not your fault, then you may be entitled to make a personal injury claim against the insurance policy..

Public liability insurance is a policy that business owners or those responsible for maintaining public areas should have taken out; this allows them to compensate members of the public for any personal injury sustained on their property provided the accident was as a direct result of their negligence. Alternatively, if you suffer an accident on public property whilst working, then you may be able to make an Accident at Work claim against your employer. 

If you are unsure if you have a valid claim, call us for a no obligation chat about the circumstances of the accident and we can advise you on whether or not you have a claim. Call us today on 0800 590 019 or contact us here.


Types of accidents in public places or Public Liability claims

Some of the most common public liability compensation claims we deal with involve;

  • Slips, trips or falls inside public buildings or areas open to the public; typical examples are supermarkets, restaurants and shopping centres, but can also occur in outdoor public car parks, pathways and amusement parks, etc. 

  • Other slip, trip or fall accidents can be caused by pavements, potholes, untreated ice and snow, etc. Many obstructions many people do not realise they can claim for; in addition to those you could also claim for tree roots and building steps in disrepair.

  • Obstructions to highways or pavements that have not been highlighted through correct signage or lighting, for example unlit skips, misplaced highways agency cones, etc. You can also claim for obstructions caused by other members of the public that have not been corrected by the Local Authority or those creating the hazard, such as abandoned litter or rubbish bags creating a tripping hazard in a walking area or badly parked vehicles on the roadway which may partly obstruct the pavement. 

There are also many other circumstances where you could be injured on a public property, if you are unsure if your accident falls into a Public Liability claim we would be happy to talk you through the Claims Process and offer you valuable advice on a no obligation basis. .


What should I do if I have an accident in a public place?

To make a successful Public Liability compensation claim you would need to prove that another person was responsible for your personal injury, in this case it would be the company or person responsible for the upkeep of the public area acting negligently by allowing the public area to fall into disrepair.

If your case happens within a public building, to help with your case, you should report the accident to the staff or owner at the time. If possible you should also make a note of your accident in the accident book, and if there are any witnesses, take their names and addresses for future use by your solicitor. If it is a case involving badly maintained roads or pavements then you will need to collect relevant photographic evidence and report your accident to the Local Authority or the Highways Agency.

To collect evidence, prior to instructing a solicitor, it would be benficial if photographs were of the area where the accident happened. In cases involving badly maintained pavements, it is important to depict the height/depth of the defect to evidence your claim of a slip, trip or fall claim. As it unlikely you will have a ruler with you, you can use a number items to demonstrate this, such as a coin or pen standing/held upright beside the defect in the photograph. 

If you have been injuried following an accident in a public place you may be eligible to make a Public Liability compensation claim, for expert legal advice please contact us, fill in the enquiry form below or for further information please see our Slips, trips & falls or FAQ's pages.



Find out more

Ruth Markham Partner
in 30 seconds Start your claim
I WON £8,620 “I was injured in a road traffic accident. bhp solicitors helped me no end with my case.” Miss F Start your claim