Menu

Our History

To some, history and roots are the past and we should look to the future. At BHP however we are very aware of our historic roots. Many of our clients have grown with us and we now support generations of their families.

With our lengthy history we thought we would document the growth of BHP below.

Blackett Hart & Pratt Solicitors was established by name in 1993.

The firm however has historic roots dating back to the early 1800's in Darlington.

LJ Heron & Co were established in Durham shortly after the end of the second world war. Following the retirement of Mr Heron the firm changed its name to Burt Hart & Pratt in 1978.

Steavensons Plant and Park were established in Darlington in the 1835 and continued to practice in that name until a merger took place between Burt Hart & Pratt and Steavenson Plant and Park in 1993, the result of which was the formation of Blackett Hart & Pratt.

In 1993 BHP launched its first non legal area of expertise, providing in-house independent financial advice to clients across the region. In 2008 this area of the business re branded to be known as BHP Financial.

In July 1998 BHP merged with a Darlington based law firm Walton Hardy & Clough. In 2001 a further merger took place with Deas Mallen Solicitors of Newcastle Upon Tyne which gave BHP a prime quayside location in the heart of Newcastle.

In late 2001 BHP launched an additional non-legal discipline providing planning and design expertise (now known as BHP Develop) to developers, property and landowners.

In 2003 the firm merged with Winskell & Winskell of Newcastle.

In 2006 two further mergers took place with Harvey & Marron and Anderson & Haggie, both with practices in Newcastle's City Centre relocating to BHP's Quayside office

In July of 2006, Blackett Hart & Pratt (the partnership) also converted to a limited liability partnership to be known as Blackett Hart & Pratt LLP.

The launch of BHP Sport in December 2006 was signified by the arrival of David Hodgson as Director of Sport, former manager of Darlington FC and respected ex-professional footballer with Liverpool FC and Middlesbrough.

A merger with James & Baker Solicitors of Teesside took place in July 2007 giving BHP a permanent base in Tees Valley.

In 2007 Blackett Hart & Pratt LLP merged with Adamsons/J W Mitchell Dodds of North Shields. This also signified the launch of BHP Home Ltd six months later, a new subsidiary estate agency company. In 2013 BHP Home Ltd became known as Blacketts.

In March 2008 BHP merged with Clarksons of Halifax, West Yorkshire giving the firm its first legal office outside the North East of England. The launch of BHP Clarksons in Halifax coincided with the re brand of Blackett Hart & Pratt LLP in April 2008 to create a number of new trading names and divisions to represent the multi-disciplinary nature of BHP. In 2013, ownership of BHP Clarksons transferred to Ramsdens Solicitors LLP.